Chief Vann House
- County History
- Native American History
|About the House
Referred to as the Showplace of the Cherokee Nation, this two-story classic brick mansion was built by Chief James Vann in 1804. Decorated with beautiful Cherokee hand carvings done in natural colors of blue, red, green, and yellow, the home features a cantilevered stairway and many fine antiques.
The Vann House passed out of the hands of the family when “Rich Joe” Vann unknowingly violated state law by hiring a white man to work for him. The government seized his properties, and the house was awarded to a white land lottery winner in 1834.
To learn more, email the staff.